About Me

My photo
I am the canine DIVA of DESIGN, ready to rescue those who are suffering from DESIGN DISTRESS. Send me your design S.O.S. Help is on the way!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Is Style a Mystery? . . . Learn some History!

My dears, I love a good story almost as much as I love good design . . . so I will share the following, a wonderful tidbit received from Sarah Henderson of Schumacher:

During World War II, day-to-day survival was a struggle and fabric was one of the many things in short supply.  This shortage led to rationing, mending, reusing and improvising.
 Vera Neumann began her legendary business with a small printing operation in her kitchen.  She used a simple screen printing machine to make placemats and napkins.   However, with the WWII rations, Vera was unable to get linen to continue making the only products that she sold.  A trip to an Army Surplus store that had an excess of parachute silk put Vera in the scarf designing and printing business!


Very quickly, the world fell in love with Vera’s fabulous scarves and ladybug logo.
Vera, along with husband George, expanded their printing operations.  Vera’s unique styling of natural elements and abstracts drew the attention of Schumacher.  The successful Schumacher/Vera  collaboration began in 1947 with her ‘Gold Coast Collection.’  



Vera continued to design her fresh, simple fabrics and wallpapers for Schumacher until her final 1979 collection.


I simply love having insider info like this . . . in Stella’s world you simply can’t have too much information!

No comments:

Post a Comment